Scottie Scheffler's LIV Golf posture and remarks from Rory McIlroy

Scottie Scheffler


Since its launch two years ago, the Saudi-backed LIV Golf series has revolutionized the industry and sparked a bitter rivalry with the PGA Tour. However, world number one Scottie Scheffler has remained loyal to the PGA Tour despite the appeal of LIV's lucrative offers, bucking the exodus that has seen some of his closest rivals leave.

As the Open Championship at Troon draws near, Scheffler is considered a strong candidate. We ask him about the controversial breakaway tour and his honest feelings about others who have left the race.

Scheffler hasn't held back when it comes to sharing his thoughts on coworkers who have switched to LIV. While talks about a potential merger are still underway, he says he has no ill will towards them for taking advantage of a lucrative opportunity but strongly feels they shouldn't be permitted to return to the PGA Tour without consequences.

Scheffler discussed the differing levels of departures with LIV Golf in a February interview, saying to the Golf Channel: "You had some people that quit our circuit and then sued our tour." That wasn't exactly tasteful.

"There were also other guys who abruptly quit because they desired to pursue various endeavors. All individuals have made their own choices, and I harbor no ill will towards the guys that departed. However, a route back I believe it wouldn't be a very well-liked choice if they simply returned as if nothing had occurred.

In my opinion, there ought to be a means for them to return, but if that makes sense, they must be required to contribute in some way to the tour to do so. He went on, "I wasn't willing to leave the PGA Tour since this is where I developed my entire career.

"I had a dream of joining this tour. Maybe it wasn't for some of the guys that departed. However, I believe that if they desire a way back, one should exist; it shouldn't, in my opinion, merely involve returning the first week they wish to return and play. Before they rejoin our trip, there needs to be a disclaimer of some kind."

Prominent members of the PGA Tour Jordan Spieth, Justin Thomas, and Rickie Fowler have voiced similar opinions.

Scottie Scheffler


Scheffler hasn't changed his mind on LIV, but Rory McIlroy has taken an unexpected turn. Following the June declaration of peace between the rival groups in the sport, the Northern Irishman, who was formerly among the rebel tour's most vocal opponents, has tempered his views.

For his part, Scheffler and McIlroy were the only people who openly voiced their disagreement with LIV, making McIlroy something of a lone figure. Scheffler was among the people that Golf Channel analyst Brandel Chamblee criticized earlier this year for not doing more to help McIlroy in the early going of the sport's dispute.

"I felt like Rory was out there, fighting the PGA Tour and being a powerful source of funding for LIV, and he didn't have any backing from any of the players," Chamblee remarked.

"I didn't hear Jordan Spieth advocating for him outspokenly. Justin Thomas didn't sound to me. I heard Scottie Scheffler, but not me. I heard nothing from Xander Schauffele. None of them spoke to the problem with the same vigor as Rory did."

It appeared as though he was absorbing much of the heat if not all of it. I don't know for sure since I haven't spoken to Rory, but I believe that eventually, it was like, "Listen, I've tried everything and I'm not getting any support, so I'm going to bow out." Why must I fight this entire battle by myself?"

Competitor Scheffler regrets not being able to routinely face off against the LIV stars. John Rahm was one of the more surprising defectors, taking a pay cut of around £400 million to join the other side.

Jon was, to be perfectly honest, one of my favorite opponents, Scheffler said earlier this year in an interview with Sky Sports. "Over the years, we had some great fights, so I was a little shocked when he chose to accept the money and depart. There, I have a ton of wonderful pals."

Dustin Johnson and Brooks Koepka are also gone, and I miss seeing a lot of those folks. They played a significant role in my life when we were on tour, so their absence still seems strange.

"I miss competing against some of those players, but we'll see what happens in the future. It's one of those issues; the golf world is going through a peculiar moment right now." 
Post a Comment (0)
Previous Post Next Post