Jordan Spieth has dislocated his wrist 12 times in five months before the Open.

Jordan Spieth


Before The Open, Jordan Spieth said that his wrist had popped out of place an incredible twelve times in a mere five months. Nevertheless, the unflappable American says he feels like he's back at the top of his game every good day and will not give up.

Spieth's rise from his days as the golf industry's golden boy was quick. He was on the verge of an unheard-of single-year Grand Slam in 2015 when he arrived at St Andrews for The Open, and he was also in position to take the top spot in the world rankings.

With the Claret Jug in hand, his victory at Birkdale two years later appeared to signal the beginning of Spieth's hegemony. Major victories, meanwhile, have escaped him since then.

Spieth's recent record speaks volumes, but it's difficult to believe there are 33 better players out there given his current 34th-place ranking in the world. Fans haven't, however, witnessed the hardship that goes on behind the scenes.

The 30-year-old, who has been dealing with a recurring condition for six months, has now disclosed the seriousness of his wrist issue. Spieth has explained everything in detail: "My tendon dislocates in essence. About twelve times since February, it has moved.

"I can't hold the club when it happens. I'm alright when I put it back in, but my brain is simply telling me not to. I need to get it corrected because I'm realizing it has been impeding me more than I initially believed. It is not unusual.

"I suppose I might have to get this operation when my season ends because a couple players here have had comparable procedures done. I'm able to play golf because it doesn't occur during rounds.

It's a random turn that occurs while I'm at home with my children. After an hour, I can get it back and whack balls. It's a really strange situation. Unfortunately, that has affected my consistency, particularly with the clubs that are more buried in the ground.

"I've been driving it terrific and had a pretty good year putting, so my bread and butter of short irons and wedges has been holding me back." I suppose I put as much faith in it as possible, and hopefully, it lasts for at least another month."

People who are familiar with Spieth are aware that these difficulties aren't impeding him. He actually maintains his optimism and feels that he is moving in the right direction.

He made the following observation: "You just don't play the what could have been game with Tiger Woods, the one golfer to whom it hadn't happened but nonetheless had it happen because of injury. I suppose it's just part of the game with everyone else.


The game is more enjoyable when you are getting closer to your ceiling, therefore you never want it to be, and when it is, it stinks because you know what you are capable of. It all seems simpler. It's more about accepting the climb back up, though.

"Days like when you win are the best. Imagine going through a day and thinking, 'I did a little better today and I had a great time doing it.'" Sometimes, after you win, you wonder: What comes next? It's an oddity.

"The objective is to win competitions, but the real secret to winning is to overcome both the mental and physical aspects of competing.

"There is a mental game you play with golf that you learn after 10 or 15 years out here that you don't really have to learn when you are 16 years old, so if you can find that accomplishment day in and day out, then you start working your way up that way."

"(Winning the Open and ranking #1 in the world) can feel like a long time ago, for sure. I didn't really have any troughs before then, only because of the ones I've gone through between then and now.

"Thus, attempting to return it to a specific location is a more difficult undertaking than simply performing well every week.

"The game looks a little bit simpler. You still put in a lot of effort, but you don't have to force yourself to work as hard. In contrast, I feel as though I have worked more than ever in the past few months without really getting anything in return. You can examine any swing I've made recently, and it's not complicated mechanically.

I am discovering that my inability to do the task at hand is not due to a lack of effort or ignorance of what to do, but rather a limitation in my capacity. It's not like it's something I am not finding, so that helps me a little bit.

"It's like, okay, I'll get it fixed and then I'll be able to do it again and it's at least an answer" if there is something that I truly am unable to accomplish. 
Post a Comment (0)
Previous Post Next Post