Novak Djokovic: "I'm Not At That Level" in response to Carlos Alcaraz and Jannik Inner following the Wimbledon final defeat.

Novak Djokovic


Following his defeat in straight sets in the Wimbledon final, Novak Djokovic acknowledged he is not on the same level as Jannik Sinner and Carlos Alcaraz. The world No. 1 Sinner and Alcaraz have split the first three Grand Slams of the year, leaving the Serbian as the only one of the "Big Three" still consistently vying for the greatest trophies.

Even as a seasoned player and a 24-time Grand Slam winner, Novak Djokovic experienced something new after losing to Carlos Alcaraz in the Wimbledon final in straight sets.

Expectedly, the match would be titanic as the two rekindled their rivalry in their second consecutive Wimbledon final, but Alcaraz defeated Djokovic in an unexpectedly easy victory.

It carried on Djokovic's blah beginning to the season. He hasn't lost any of the first three Grand Slams since 2017, and in 2024 he still hasn't won a championship at any level.

Australian Open winner Jannik Sinner, ranked #1 in the world, and Wimbledon champion Alcaraz have now added to their victory at the French Open last month.

Though Djokovic claims he is not yet at the same level as his two youthful adversaries, there is still something to look forward to in 2024 as he attempts to add an elusive Olympic gold medal to his record of honor.

Novak Djokovic


"My two main objectives for the remainder of the year are the Olympic Games and the US Open," Djokovic stated. Yes, I hope to perform to the best of my abilities in those two competitions. For now, that's all I have to say.

"Obviously, making it to the Wimbledon finals gives you a lot more confidence. However, I also believe that I would fall short in a matchup today against the finest player in the world—aside from Jannik, who is by far the best this year because I just don't feel up to par.

"I'm going to have to play much better than I did today and feel lot better than I did today if I want to actually have a chance to, you know, defeat these players in Grand Slam later stages or at the Olympics."

"I'll put some effort into it. It's not something I have ever encountered in my life before. Throughout my career, I've encountered so many diverse situations. Usually, when faced with hardship, I overcome it, grow, and become stronger. That's my plan of action.

To tie Roger Federer's record of eight Wimbledon men's singles championships, 37-year-old Djokovic will need to wait at least another year. However, he quickly put an end to any discussion of retiring.

Yes, he continued, "The first game was great." "One of the most extended opening games I've ever engaged in."In contrast to last year, when I started stronger and won the first set easily, I believe that he was ready to fight and play at his peak level from the off.

"From the beginning today, he was present and prepared. About that, that's all I have to say. Yes, let's continue because I'm still going strong.

"I still plan to compete in the Olympics and maybe even get the opportunity to represent my nation by winning a medal. Returning to the location of my injury a few weeks earlier, although obviously on a very different surface. See you later. Let's see how I feel both mentally and physically.

"I'm hoping to locate the appropriate tennis since I'll need to give it my all to advance to the Olympic final."

Regarding returning here, I mean, I would really love to. The fact that this is my final Wimbledon is the only notion on my mind at the moment. I really want to play anything, anything, really.

"I don't think in terms of limitations. As long as I believe I can play at this high level, I still want to continue playing. 
Post a Comment (0)
Previous Post Next Post