Rafael Nadal is "Happy" to be back in action and win twice with Casper Ruud in Sweden

Rafael Nadal


In the men's doubles at the Bastad Open, Rafael Nadal and Casper Ruud triumphed over Guido Andreozzi and Miguel Reyes-Varela to mark their successful comeback to the game. As part of his preparation for the forthcoming Olympics, the Spaniard is competing at the Swedish venue for the first time since his victory in 2005. 

Rafael Nadal returned to action, teaming up with Casper Ruud to win the men's doubles match at the Nordea Open in Sweden, defeating Guido Andreozzi and Miguel Reyes-Varela 6-1 6-4. 

To continue his training for the Paris Olympic Games at Roland-Garros, Rafael Nadal is playing at the clay-court site for the first time since he won the singles championship there in 2005.

Following the win, Rafael Nadal remarked, "It's a joy playing alongside a good friend and an outstanding player like Casper here in Bastad." Personally, I'm content and believe the pairing worked well.

The first time we performed together, we did really well, and I'm glad to be back here over two decades later.

"This site brings back wonderful memories from 2003, 2004, and 2005. I intend to continue enjoying this week and continue to have fun."

This year, Nadal chose not to participate in Wimbledon and hasn't played since falling to Alexander Zverev in the opening round of the French Open.

However, he managed to get above his early rust and defeat world No. 9 Ruud in 79 minutes on the court.
Ruud stated, "I think it was a good match like Rafa mentioned." "Being from Norway and Rafa being from Spain, I'm more accustomed to the weather delays than he is.

He performed admirably, but I'm not sure how his body reacts to having to stop and start all the time as he gets older. We had a great game of doubles, and seeing Rafa on the court again was a great joy.

In the following round, the duo will take on either Mariano Navone and Cameron Norrie or Theo Arribage and Roman Safiullin, while Rafael Nadal will play his first singles match against Leo Borg.

If Nadal makes it past the first round, he will play Cameron Norrie, who defeated Jozef Kovalik in straight sets.

Norrie prevailed 7-6(4) 6-4 after a close first set that he won in a tie-break. In the second set, Norrie broke through at 5-4.
It was really challenging, according to Norrie. "I was a little anxious at first since I hadn't played much on clay after Wimbledon."It was difficult, but I felt like I played pretty well and controlled my serve. That helped me go past the tie-break because I served incredibly effectively.

"Towards the conclusion of the match, I had one of my best games."

Before Norrie rallied for five straight points from a 3-2 deficit to win the tie-break, neither player was able to muster a single break point in the first game. 
Post a Comment (0)
Previous Post Next Post